Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2005, 02:03 AM   #121
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
sigh........ horsepower could even be referred to as the energy the engine produces.... since in other countries horsepower is actually measured in electrical terms (i believe kW is the correct one....) while Torque is simply the Force the engine produces (twisting force to be exact).

Not quite a kw. 746 Watts = 1 HP.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #122
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Not quite a kw. 746 Watts = 1 HP.

exactly. the conversions are never equally perfect in aspect of numbers.

0.746 kW = 746 W = 1 HP

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:27 AM   #123
CarEXPERT
Banned

If horsepower is work then work=force x distance. And in a cylinder, work=piston area x pressure of explosion x stroke. What I dont get is isn't that torque? I want to know what is the difference between hp and torque in terms of engine power. Is hp like torque but at a higher RPM? So if you have a lot of torque at low RPM the engine spins really faster at low, so when you go to high RPM where hp is higher, then is hp torque at high rpm? Damn im really confused
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:39 PM   #124
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
If horsepower is work then work=force x distance. And in a cylinder, work=piston area x pressure of explosion x stroke. What I dont get is isn't that torque? I want to know what is the difference between hp and torque in terms of engine power. Is hp like torque but at a higher RPM? So if you have a lot of torque at low RPM the engine spins really faster at low, so when you go to high RPM where hp is higher, then is hp torque at high rpm? Damn im really confused

argh, horsepower IS NOT work..... work would be related to torque, n then torque x RPMS = HP

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #125
Speed Freak INC
CF Newbie

Cool

* One dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower then the first 8 rows at Daytona
* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume.
* The supercharger takes more power to drive than a stock hemi makes.
* Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.
* Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
* At stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F.
* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression-plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting off its fuel flow.
* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or blow the block in half.
* Dragsters twist the crank (torsionally) so far (20 degrees in the big end of the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to synchronization with the pistons.
* To exceed 300mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. But in reaching 200 mph well before 1/2 track, launch acceleration is closer to 8G's.
* If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs $1000.00 per second.
* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have read this sentence.
John force runs 5 percylinder, 2 inside the valve cover. They are mechanical though as electronic engine controlls are not permitted.

Well, and that all the HP #'s are estimates, as there isn't really a dyno that can measure them

True, they heva to estimate the near 8000HP as no dynos will read 1/2 of that figure.A nitro burning V-8 expends 400 of it's 7000 hp just to drive the supercharger. The equivalent of a Corvette Z06 engine just to spin the blower.
-At "the hit", with the car's clutch at maximum slippage, 4500 of those horses will be dissipated as heat alone.
-It takes 30 hp just to spin each fuel pump, with each pump flowing as much as 1.2 gallons per second at 530 psi.
-For every 15 seconds a funny car idles, the fuel load dwindles by a gallon at the nose. Idle too long and you'll throw weight shift out of whack.
-One brief burnout, followed by a 4.73 sec pass, will consume 15 gallons of nitro, at $15.75 per. But the average pass costs $2000 a second.
-At launch, the car pulls 5.0g of acceleration, holds 4.0g for 2.5 to 3.0 sec, then pulls 4.0 negative g when the chutes blast open. This caused racer Joe Amato to retire from racing when he couldn't keep his retinas attached.
-From rest, the car achieves 100 mph in 1.2 sec, and does so in just 100 ft, or four times it's own length. At half track, or 660 ft, the car hits 260 mph

In the same vein, I'll mention the now deceased Col. John Paul Stapp. A man who tested the limits of human G loading:

On December 10, 1954, Stapp strapped himself into a rocket sled and was accelerated to 632 mph. At this point he was decelerated in 1.2 seconds! This acceleration was in excess of 40 Gs! His body weight was momentarily about 6800 lbs. Wind blast and deceleration were equivalent to a high-altitude ejection at supersonic speed.

Here is an account of what he experienced:
Col. Stapp reported: "It felt as though my eyes were being pulled out of my head . . .I lifted my eyelids with my fingers, but I couldn't see a thing . . ..They put me on a stretcher, and in a minute or two I saw some blue specks . . . In about eight minutes . . . I saw one of the surgeons wiggle his fingers at me, and I was able to count them. Then I knew my retinas had not been detached, and that I wasn't going to be blind."

http://www.jrdrags.com/gallery/showp...cat/500/page/2
this is considered the worst explosion in NHRA historyh and still stands
caused by a ignition chip fireing at the wrong time when the valves were still open
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Speed Freak INC : 04-13-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Speed Freak INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:29 PM   #126
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

If you're going to plagarize, at least make sure that it wasn't plagarised before.
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=9437

-------------------------------------
http://forum.soundillusions.net/arch...p/t-19139.html

Regardless, welcome to the forums, and whilest you were posting facts in the name of entertainment, citing the source is strongly urged.
At least cite Car&Driver as the source.
--------------------------------------
Wow, that's one hell of an explosion. Any injuries?

Last edited by Godlaus : 04-13-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:02 PM   #127
crowe0986
CF Newbie

500 CID Keith Black Engines (v-8)
Supercharged
7000+ hp
4.49s in 1/4 mile
90% nitromethane/10% whatever (usually ethenol)
crowe0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:20 AM   #128
Mclaren_nut
CF Newbie

Angry Oh My God!!!

THECAREXPERT is an f'ing idiot... dude if u have been around cars for 30 fuc**** years and dont know shi* about em' i would be pretty sad.. First of all the fastest top fuel e/t ever recorded was 4.3 sec at 336mph. Second of all The mclaren f1 beats all of youre american cars. And the ferrari enzo is a car, enzo ferrari is a person dumba**. And if i had a car with 150hp and it only weighed say 100 pounds it would outrun any freakin 512 c.i. charger of yours . ITS ALL ABOUT POWER TO WEIGHT. And they do make 10.o liter engines... IHRA pro stock cars use 800 c.i. motors, that translates to 14.0 liters DUMBA**. IF YOU DONT THINK I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT CARS... TRY ME... AND GUESS WHAT IM !^ YEARS OLD!!!!!
Mclaren_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:23 AM   #129
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclaren_nut
THECAREXPERT is an f'ing idiot... dude if u have been around cars for 30 fuc**** years and dont know shi* about em' i would be pretty sad.. First of all the fastest top fuel e/t ever recorded was 4.3 sec at 336mph. Second of all The mclaren f1 beats all of youre american cars. And the ferrari enzo is a car, enzo ferrari is a person dumba**. And if i had a car with 150hp and it only weighed say 100 pounds it would outrun any freakin 512 c.i. charger of yours . ITS ALL ABOUT POWER TO WEIGHT. And they do make 10.o liter engines... IHRA pro stock cars use 800 c.i. motors, that translates to 14.0 liters DUMBA**. IF YOU DONT THINK I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT CARS... TRY ME... AND GUESS WHAT IM !^ YEARS OLD!!!!!
And apparently you are also a !^ (?) year old idiot. This thread is almost a year old. Boy do you look stupid now.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:30 AM   #130
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:

Good luck on building an engine that weighs 100 pounds, let alone an entire car
Old 01-13-2006, 05:33 AM   #131
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Good luck on building an engine that weighs 100 pounds, let alone an entire car
I especially liked this part;

Quote:
IF YOU DONT THINK I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT CARS... TRY ME... AND GUESS WHAT IM !^ YEARS OLD!!!!!
Does this remind you of anybody who just left? Or maybe even the person he's challenging. I think we have our newest Village Idiot.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-13-2006, 05:35 AM   #132
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
It's soo funny, because he's holding down the shift key throughout the entire post instead of using the caps lock .
Old 01-13-2006, 05:35 AM   #133
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

well as family guy states the village idiot gets to run around waving his penis at traffic
Old 01-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #134
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
It's soo funny, because he's holding down the shift key throughout the entire post instead of using the caps lock .
Perhaps he doesn't know everything about operating a keyboard.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #135
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

Does this remind you of anybody who just left? Or maybe even the person he's challenging. I think we have our newest Village Idiot.

I think he meant 16, because he doesn't know how to use capslock...he is the same age as CAREXPERT, but why would he diss himself?...

Who is it?...I can't think of anyone who has been banned recently...