Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2005, 06:20 AM   #1
davisb
CF Newbie

94 Saturn SL2 won't move

Have 94 Saturn, 5 Speed. It will start and go into gear however it won't move. You can hear a clanking sound when giving it gas. Could this be the U-Joint, clutch, transmission? Please help?
davisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Blue_Frog
CF Newbie

Only manual transmission I have ever had that did that meant the flywheel was shot in the clutch.

Will it do any gear? Reverse or whatever? If so then clutch flywheel is shot and skipping (sorry).
Blue_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:54 AM   #3
davisb
CF Newbie

Nope

Won't move in any gear. Sounds as though something is loose. When the car is not on and I put it in gear you can hear a clanking sound each time.
davisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
Blue_Frog
CF Newbie

I just looked at autozone.com...they have got your cars (or saturns) service manual online but seriously I dont think its gonna be a help. I think your flywheel on the clutch is broken up or shot.

Its like if you can imagine-the old sprokets on your bike chain from being a kid. The like 'teeth' of that sprocket...they have broken off or are being stuck out from being broken. Nothing grabbing nothing and all~or grabbing at the wrong times. Ummmmmm maybe $300 to $500 or so to replace that flywheel

Last edited by Blue_Frog : 02-21-2005 at 08:29 AM.
Blue_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
carls47807
CF Freak

flywheel?

The flywheel has nothing to do with why your car won't move.

Pretend your clutch system as a brake system.

The flywheel is your rotor (if you have a bad rotor it will be noisy and bumpy, but it will still move)
The Pressure Plate is your caliper (this could be your problem, broken teeth on your flywheel could cause it not to tighten up on your clutch disc)

The clutch disc is like your brake pads. When these wear out, the car will not move. However, you should not be getting much noise when these wear out, and it would have been a gradual process (not something that happened over night).

I have seen a lot of manual transmissions :break: where the shift linkage comes into the case. A little clip or something could be your culprit. It will still feel like it is going into gear, but nothing is really happening inside the transmission.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:03 AM   #6
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
anyone think to mention broken axles? the last service you had done did they mention anything about broken open CV axle boots? well they were probably trying to warn you of this situation. if you put it in gear and look under the car(make sure the car don't run you over) look underneath and see if the axle's are turning, if they are spining , but your wheels don't move then your axles could be broken, but if your axles dont spin you probably have clutch problems
Old 03-03-2005, 02:05 AM   #7
carls47807
CF Freak

good call

sometimes we forget the easy things
Old 03-03-2005, 02:10 AM   #8
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls47807
I have seen a lot of manual transmissions :break: where the shift linkage comes into the case. A little clip or something could be your culprit. It will still feel like it is going into gear, but nothing is really happening inside the transmission.

Easy to test. With the car off pop it into neutral, and push the car manually. It should roll. Now pop it into gear (any gear) and try to push it, it shouldn't move because of the compression.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:19 AM   #9
carls47807
CF Freak

clutch

if the car won't move when the clutch is engaged when the vehicle is running, then when the vehicle is off (one of the following will apply):

1. the transmission isn't shifting into gear and it will roll
2. their are issues between the clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel and the car will roll
3. there is a broken cv joint and the car will roll

basically, (and please correct me if i am wrong here davisb, or anyone else) but i think the car will roll no matter what gear you are in or what you do. the only way to get it to stop rolling is probably to apply the brake, am i right davisb?

(if it indeed doesn't roll, then maybe you have a seized up wheel bearing or something and you burned the clutch out trying to get the vehicle to move.)
Old 03-03-2005, 02:30 AM   #10
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
basically, (and please correct me if i am wrong here davisb, or anyone else) but i think the car will roll no matter what gear you are in or what you do. the only way to get it to stop rolling is probably to apply the brake, am i right davisb?

(if it indeed doesn't roll, then maybe you have a seized up wheel bearing or something and you burned the clutch out trying to get the vehicle to move.)

Nah, you're wrong. Most people who really understand how a standard works don't even use the e-brake. You just pop it into gear and it will keep it pretty solid. Try it sometime with someones car, just put it in gear, the compression in the cylinders will keep it from moving because of the solid link between the two, you understand now?

Especially for diesel trucks, they have a normal foot pedal style e-brake because, the compression is about 25:1 in a diesel, the compression would do more than the e-brake would. So they just jammed it down there incase you wanted to use it.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:35 AM   #11
carls47807
CF Freak

ha

I understand how a standard works, and the needlessness of using an emergency brake (in fact none of the standards i drive even have a functioning one).

Read my post again and try to make sense out of it. If the motor is turning and the car isn't moving, then clearly when it is shut off no amount of your "compression" is going to keep the vehicle from staying still, because the motor is no longer being connected to the transmission or the transmission to the wheels. Or the vehicle would move when it is running.

Get it?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:36 AM   #12
carls47807
CF Freak

help me get this across to him banffautospa_ap

help me get this across to him banffautospa_ap, you seem to know what you are doing.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:38 AM   #13
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
I understand how a standard works, and the needlessness of using an emergency brake (in fact none of the standards i drive even have a functioning one).

Read my post again and try to make sense out of it. If the motor is turning and the car isn't moving, then clearly when it is shut off no amount of your "compression" is going to keep the vehicle from staying still, because the motor is no longer being connected to the transmission or the transmission to the wheels. Or the vehicle would move when it is running.

Get it?

Oh, I follow you now, that was just a simple check to check the linkage, that's all. All that really needs to be done is put it in gear and look in the wheel well and check if the axel is turning, if it is, well then the problem is the axel. If not, clutch.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:19 AM   #14
srober32
CF Addict

Or you could check if the speedo moves while the car is in gear and running, that would indicate that one or both of the axles have popped out, rare but it does happen if the motor mounts are severely worn out, which could attest to the clunking sound when the engine is off and he puts it into gear.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:21 AM   #15
srober32
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Frog
I just looked at autozone.com...they have got your cars (or saturns) service manual online but seriously I dont think its gonna be a help. I think your flywheel on the clutch is broken up or shot.

Its like if you can imagine-the old sprokets on your bike chain from being a kid. The like 'teeth' of that sprocket...they have broken off or are being stuck out from being broken. Nothing grabbing nothing and all~or grabbing at the wrong times. Ummmmmm maybe $300 to $500 or so to replace that flywheel
Nope if the flywheel was broken the car would not start.