Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2005, 08:31 AM   #31
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
I respect everyone in this forum so I expect the same
carlos is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #32
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
i know how torque converters work but that has nothing to do with this because the only thing that changes is the output shaft the input shaft is always turning the same way as the engine thats how its possible for the engine to keep going the same way while the trans output shaft is going the other way sorry but you're wrong. not only that the guy said the engine kept running

I was just reading through your precedent posts, and realized I missed a detail in one, you said the input shaft is ALWAYS spinning the same way, how?

Okay, Forward, input going clockwise, output clockwise. Reverse, input clockwise, output counter-clockwise.

Now, you're driving along, in a forward gear, and slam it into reverse, the tranny is now spinning BACKWARDS because you're going forward in reverse, so, input counter-clockwise and output clockwise.

So, the tranny input is now spinning the opposite way of the engine output. That's when stuff breaks.

P.S. The switch is called the Neutral Switch, not prndl. What would happen if the vehicle had prn(od)d321. "Yah, I'd like to order a Park, Reverse, Neutral, Over-drive, Drive, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st switch for my..."

Only reason I asked that is that it proved to me, and other members of this board, how much you really know about automatic transmissions.

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 02-22-2005 at 08:44 AM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #33
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
It is possible for stuff to break but the only thing connecting the engine and the trans at this point is fluid the argument was that the engine would stall and that doesn't neccessarily occur

what i want to know is if you acknoweledge the existence of a clutch in the torque converter
carlos is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:47 AM   #34
Blue_Frog
CF Newbie
 
Blue_Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 86
UUUGHHHH!!!! I give up....I'm a shade tree mechanic who has a huge fistful of cars and experience under my wings and like to share. But by trade I'm a tech support person and I get what you two are doing.

Your battling wits based on what you have seen and done (real world...school whatever) about what could be MULTIPLE issues but YET this guys question hasnt been quite answered and the bottom line is CARS just like servers and computers are just hunks of machinery if a person using them isnt fully satisfied using them properly.

To the original poster:

NO you probably did not fugg up your car, if doing a bad thing or unwanted thing to your tranny had happened you'd have heard all sorts of shit grinding and being eaten up when it happened and you'd be still hearing it now. Just keep in mind that for future reference if your wife wants to play with a knob while offroading you have a much better and less damaging one on your own person to play with.

Play nice you smart car bastids!

Last edited by Blue_Frog : 02-22-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Blue_Frog is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:47 AM   #35
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
The reason its called the PRNDL switch is that all these all these positions are housed in one unit it doesn't just have the nuetral position how do you think your reverse lights come on through the same switch, how do you think it knows your in park its not just a neutral switch
carlos is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #36
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
It is possible for stuff to break but the only thing connecting the engine and the trans at this point is fluid the argument was that the engine would stall and that doesn't neccessarily occur

what i want to know is if you acknoweledge the existence of a clutch in the torque converter

The engine will 100% of the time stall if you slam in into reverse, unless your'e going like 5mph.... even at 10mph it'll stall the motor, go try it.

The only time the engine and trans have a solid link is in over-drive. That's why you hear people say "My car won't go into lock-up on the highway"
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:51 AM   #37
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
The reason its called the PRNDL switch is that all these all these positions are housed in one unit it doesn't just have the nuetral position how do you think your reverse lights come on through the same switch, how do you think it knows your in park its not just a neutral switch

That is all it's called......... just look it up on google or something, im not even gonna argue with you on that.

Quote:
Play nice you smart car bastids!

hahaaha
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:52 AM   #38
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
The engine will 100% of the time stall if you slam in into reverse, unless your'e going like 5mph.... even at 10mph it'll stall the motor, go try it.

The only time the engine and trans have a solid link is in over-drive. That's why you hear people say "My car won't go into lock-up on the highway"
oh so know you say that there is a clutch, make up your mind
carlos is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:53 AM   #39
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
oh so know you say that there is a clutch, make up your mind

I always did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Haha no i'm not, that's what over drive is, the clutch is for 1 gear, and 1 gear only. Why do you think trans with overdrive are so much more money to repair? Cause it has a big pretty word in it?

I'm sure your "school" was just a grade 9 course you took instead of cooking so now you're an expert? Because seriously, you know nothing about cars.. I'm not even kidding.

Just stop embarassing yourself, please.
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:53 AM   #40
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
That is all it's called......... just look it up on google or something, im not even gonna argue with you on that.



hahaaha
by this statement i take you looked it up
carlos is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #41
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
by this statement i take you looked it up

No, actually not, I've had to replace a few in my time, my car included, wouldn't start.
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #42
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Don't be so ignorant. You're obviously going by what your suit father or mother has told you and believe it to be true. You still don't understand how auto trans work, nor the power of the torque convertor.

What are you talking about, autos DO NOT have a clutch. The clutch of an auto is MUCH more complicated than that of a standard, the clutches are inside the trans itself, it has no solid link to the motor. The only time there is a solid link to the motor is in over-drive, but I won't get into that, you have lots of reading to do. So cars without over drive, There is ABSOLUTELY no solid link between the motor and tranny, all there is is the torque convertor, which is just a hydraulic pump.

If you're so confident, do this right now, put your most expensive vehicle in drive, get up to 15mph and throw it into reverse. See what happens (Engine stalls, chances are at low speeds like that nothing will break).

Torque convertors are extremely efficient for what they are, a tranny CANNOT and WILL NOT spin the opposite direction of the engine, it will lock up the motor. Do what I told you above. Then post your results.



Any other "facts" Carlos
actually you didn't always admit to the clutch existing,or any kind of direct link between the trans and the engine

Last edited by carlos : 02-22-2005 at 09:00 AM.
carlos is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:56 AM   #43
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
did you really?

Notice how I said I wouldn't get into over-drive because look at what that did.

Quote:
What are you talking about, autos DO NOT have a clutch. The clutch of an auto is MUCH more complicated than that of a standard, the clutches are inside the trans itself, it has no solid link to the motor. The only time there is a solid link to the motor is in over-drive, but I won't get into that, you have lots of reading to do. So cars without over drive, There is ABSOLUTELY no solid link between the motor and tranny, all there is is the torque convertor, which is just a hydraulic pump.

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 02-22-2005 at 09:01 AM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #44
Blue_Frog
CF Newbie
 
Blue_Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 86
GAAAWWWD you two fight so much you almost sound queer for each other!!!!!!



Get a room or somefin!!!!!!
Blue_Frog is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #45
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Frog
GAAAWWWD you two fight so much you almost sound queer for each other!!!!!!



Get a room or somefin!!!!!!

How about your room
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.