Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
Billerance
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2
Little advise please.

ok, im 16 coming on 17 and as u probably can tell allready im looking for advise on cars, and milege and all that malarky,ive been looking around at a few cars and ive taken a liking to the vw polo and golf, also honda civic, and a few others but really its the golf and polo, i was wondering wether 100 odd k for a polo is worth considering to buy my cash situation is about 2k as its my 1st car but i recon i could push it for the right car sooo ill stop blabing now lol, is 104,000 miles on a vw polo ok ive been told that it hasnt been raged about but i cant be sure as the owner is a boy and seems to be that type but there we go ???
Billerance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:44 PM   #2
Zenith
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 57
I would NOT settle for a polo, im sorry, but they run like s**t. Too many probs with the car, better of gettin a golf.
Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
Billerance
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2
thats 1 way of putting it i suppose cheers for advise though.
Billerance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:52 PM   #4
Sniper1
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Posts: 49
If you want to get a bang for your buck get a Honda Civic they last long and are great cars to have. I had a 1995 Honda civic DX with 130,000 miles on it when i bought it. i got it for 3500 and it would of lasted me a long time if some kid wouldnt of ran me off the road on the freeway and rolled my car. i walked out with no scratchs or any thing. so if you want to live get a civic. i now drive a 1988 535is BMW that i got for 2000 with 180000miles on it but they last 300000miles.
Sniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper1
If you want to get a bang for your buck get a Honda Civic they last long and are great cars to have. I had a 1995 Honda civic DX with 130,000 miles on it when i bought it. i got it for 3500 and it would of lasted me a long time if some kid wouldnt of ran me off the road on the freeway and rolled my car. i walked out with no scratchs or any thing. so if you want to live get a civic. i now drive a 1988 535is BMW that i got for 2000 with 180000miles on it but they last 300000miles.


A car can last for 10,000 miles or 300,000 miles provided how it was maintained and how it was driven. I've had a crappy ford, and ChrisV has had an amazing ford. Personal experiences differ.

2k? I'd either buy a beater that requires some work, so that I could get it cheap, or I would save up some more for a better car. 4k is a good amount to work with, 2k, you don't have as many options.

thanks for reviving this thread, by the way.
__________________
I am everything you want to be
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:32 AM   #6
Sniper1
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Posts: 49
OK man some cars last longer then others do. Like a Honda civic could go longer then a volswagon bug. but ya it does depend on the care taker. it also can depend on what the cars ratings are like.
Sniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:56 AM   #7
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper1
OK man some cars last longer then others do. Like a Honda civic could go longer then a volswagon bug. but ya it does depend on the care taker. it also can depend on what the cars ratings are like.

Do you have any proof to back-up that statement? Because I am 100% sure that's bull that a civic will last longer than the beetle, for lots of them (most of them around here) are TDI, where no civic is. That's just your opinion, don't state it as fact. Even if you were talking normal beetle normal civic, equal care, they'd both die about the same time as eachother.

Civics don't last 300k miles either, just because one out of 1000 did doesn't mean they all do. They'll last less than 200k miles on average, almost all cars do. You don't go by the high, you always go by the medium. Otherwise I could just as easily go by the low I've seen of 35k km, and say all Civics last 35k km.
__________________
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:03 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Do you have any proof to back-up that statement? Because I am 100% sure that's bull that a civic will last longer than the beetle, for lots of them (most of them around here) are TDI, where no civic is. That's just your opinion, don't state it as fact. Even if you were talking normal beetle normal civic, equal care, they'd both die about the same time as eachother.

Civics don't last 300k miles either, just because one out of 1000 did doesn't mean they all do. They'll last less than 200k miles on average, almost all cars do. You don't go by the high, you always go by the medium. Otherwise I could just as easily go by the low I've seen of 35k km, and say all Civics last 35k km.
I think you'll find Sniper's statement pretty spot on actually, the owner of the car has alot to do with how long it lasts, for example, your average 85yr old may ride the clutch a little, but chances are their car, being driven everywhere at the relevent speed limit and never having been thrashed, will last a heck of alot longer than the same car (or similar) with your average Boy (or Girl ) racer driving it!

I'd say the second paragraph rings a more true though
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-24-2005 at 07:05 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:12 AM   #9
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I think you'll find Sniper's statement pretty spot on actually, the owner of the car has alot to do with how long it lasts, for example, your average 85yr old may ride the clutch a little, but chances are their car, being driven everywhere at the relevent speed limit and never having been thrashed, will last a heck of alot longer than the same car (or similar) with your average Boy (or Girl ) racer driving it!

I'd say the second paragraph rings a more true though

Haha, I know the driver has a lot to do with it, hense me saying "equal care...". If both vehicles got the exact same care, the difference between how long they last would be very minute and not worth shedding any sweat over. Volkswagen is actually getting a pretty good name in the buisness for quality too, their parts are actually of decent quality (though expensive), I can't say the same for Honda. What I'm trying to say is it isn't always how long the vehicles will run for, it's how many repairs you have to do and how much labour you have to pay for (if not mechanically inclined) throughout the life of the vehicle. Personally, I'd take a Volkswagen way before any Honda due to the repair factor.
__________________
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:15 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Haha, I know the driver has a lot to do with it, hense me saying "equal care...". If both vehicles got the exact same care, the difference between how long they last would be very minute and not worth shedding any sweat over. Volkswagen is actually getting a pretty good name in the buisness for quality too, their parts are actually of decent quality (though expensive), I can't say the same for Honda. What I'm trying to say is it isn't always how long the vehicles will run for, it's how many repairs you have to do and how much labour you have to pay for (if not mechanically inclined) throughout the life of the vehicle. Personally, I'd take a Volkswagen way before any Honda due to the repair factor.
I see.....probably got our wires crossed a little bit there lol. I too would have a moderb VW over a Honda....in most cases anyways, it would have to be a TDI though
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:24 AM   #11
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I see.....probably got our wires crossed a little bit there lol. I too would have a moderb VW over a Honda....in most cases anyways, it would have to be a TDI though

TDI is the only way to go now'a'days The TDI Jetta's don't even drive half bad, I actually like them.
__________________
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.