Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
chud298
CF Newbie
 
chud298's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Plainville, Ct
Posts: 16
1998 Neon R/T oil leaking please help!!!

Well my oil is leaking. Can anyone help!?! The oil leak is not noticeable on the ground or anywhere on the car. I know for a fact that it's not blowing out the tailpipe or past the rings. I'm pretty sure that it's not the head gasket because it was replaced not to long ago. What else could it be!?!
chud298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:52 AM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud298
Well my oil is leaking. Can anyone help!?! The oil leak is not noticeable on the ground or anywhere on the car. I know for a fact that it's not blowing out the tailpipe or past the rings. I'm pretty sure that it's not the head gasket because it was replaced not to long ago. What else could it be!?!


It is going somewhere. You are just going to have to find it. We don't have crystal balls. Atleast most of the time we don't.

How much oil is being consumed?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
chud298
CF Newbie
 
chud298's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Plainville, Ct
Posts: 16
There is no noticeable leak. It's leaking alot too. It's gone down about half in 3 weeks. Everytime I leave somewhere I always check the ground to see if I could see something. If I'm losing that much I figure I could see something but I don't. I've changed the PCV valve to see if that would help. It was bad but it didn't stop anything.
__________________
1998 Neon R/T DOHC: AEM cold air intake, booger racing shifter bushings, B&M short shifter, MSD Ignition blaster coil, 8mm wires, 16 in. Maxxim Rumor rims with Toyo Proxes FZ4, Autometer oil pressure voltmeter gauges, polygrafite motor mounts, all around Euro lights
chud298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud298
There is no noticeable leak. It's leaking alot too. It's gone down about half in 3 weeks. Everytime I leave somewhere I always check the ground to see if I could see something. If I'm losing that much I figure I could see something but I don't. I've changed the PCV valve to see if that would help. It was bad but it didn't stop anything.


Yikes... check your coolant carefully.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:10 AM   #5
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Yikes... check your coolant carefully.

indeedy.

Jack up the car and look for oil if no oil is visible in the coolant, it will be leaving a trail. Neon's were pretty bad for cam seals.
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:15 AM   #6
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper
 
BanffAutoSpa_ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Posts: 1,510
now when you say half... do you mean half way from the top of the safe zone on the dipstick? how much do you drive in 3 weeks, cuz 1L per 1000KM is what GM specifies for oil consumption on a 32v northstar engine. but yeah you probably have other problems
__________________
Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
BanffAutoSpa_ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:54 AM   #7
chud298
CF Newbie
 
chud298's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Plainville, Ct
Posts: 16
I drive maybe about a 100 miles a week. And yes when I say halfway I mean from the top of the safe zone.
__________________
1998 Neon R/T DOHC: AEM cold air intake, booger racing shifter bushings, B&M short shifter, MSD Ignition blaster coil, 8mm wires, 16 in. Maxxim Rumor rims with Toyo Proxes FZ4, Autometer oil pressure voltmeter gauges, polygrafite motor mounts, all around Euro lights
chud298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:08 PM   #8
Carcass
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud298
I drive maybe about a 100 miles a week. And yes when I say halfway I mean from the top of the safe zone.


How do u know it aint burning oil for a fact? U stated it ain`t burning it and thats a fact. explain how u ruled this out. No oil on ground means either ur burning it, it`s in ur antifreeze, or its pushing it into the exhaust. Can`t be too hard to find bud.

What oil u putting in her?
__________________
Because I don't Say it....Don't mean I ain't thinking it...
Carcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:22 AM   #9
chud298
CF Newbie
 
chud298's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Plainville, Ct
Posts: 16
I know for a fact it's not because it wasn't smoking. So don't try to talk smart alright it ended up being the harmonick balance when they changed the timing belt. They pushed out the rear seal. Thanks anyways
__________________
1998 Neon R/T DOHC: AEM cold air intake, booger racing shifter bushings, B&M short shifter, MSD Ignition blaster coil, 8mm wires, 16 in. Maxxim Rumor rims with Toyo Proxes FZ4, Autometer oil pressure voltmeter gauges, polygrafite motor mounts, all around Euro lights
chud298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:03 AM   #10
srober32
CF Addict
 
srober32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 442
Hmmm, wonder why no sign of a leak was found under the car then...to me it sounds like the seat to steering wheel connector.
__________________
When replacing your altenator, make sure your battery is fully charged.
srober32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:34 AM   #11
chud298
CF Newbie
 
chud298's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Plainville, Ct
Posts: 16
Yeah found it
__________________
1998 Neon R/T DOHC: AEM cold air intake, booger racing shifter bushings, B&M short shifter, MSD Ignition blaster coil, 8mm wires, 16 in. Maxxim Rumor rims with Toyo Proxes FZ4, Autometer oil pressure voltmeter gauges, polygrafite motor mounts, all around Euro lights

Last edited by chud298 : 03-02-2005 at 03:36 AM.
chud298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #12
spearthemechani
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
It is going somewhere. You are just going to have to find it. We don't have crystal balls. Atleast most of the time we don't.

How much oil is being consumed?

my compliements on the chrysler shes a beaut!!!!!!
"426 HEMI"

Last edited by spearthemechani : 03-02-2005 at 10:51 AM.
spearthemechani is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.