Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
chud298
CF Newbie

1998 Neon R/T oil leaking please help!!!

Well my oil is leaking. Can anyone help!?! The oil leak is not noticeable on the ground or anywhere on the car. I know for a fact that it's not blowing out the tailpipe or past the rings. I'm pretty sure that it's not the head gasket because it was replaced not to long ago. What else could it be!?!
chud298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:52 AM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud298
Well my oil is leaking. Can anyone help!?! The oil leak is not noticeable on the ground or anywhere on the car. I know for a fact that it's not blowing out the tailpipe or past the rings. I'm pretty sure that it's not the head gasket because it was replaced not to long ago. What else could it be!?!

It is going somewhere. You are just going to have to find it. We don't have crystal balls. Atleast most of the time we don't.

How much oil is being consumed?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
chud298
CF Newbie

There is no noticeable leak. It's leaking alot too. It's gone down about half in 3 weeks. Everytime I leave somewhere I always check the ground to see if I could see something. If I'm losing that much I figure I could see something but I don't. I've changed the PCV valve to see if that would help. It was bad but it didn't stop anything.
1998 Neon R/T DOHC: AEM cold air intake, booger racing shifter bushings, B&M short shifter, MSD Ignition blaster coil, 8mm wires, 16 in. Maxxim Rumor rims with Toyo Proxes FZ4, Autometer oil pressure voltmeter gauges, polygrafite motor mounts, all around Euro lights
Old 02-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
There is no noticeable leak. It's leaking alot too. It's gone down about half in 3 weeks. Everytime I leave somewhere I always check the ground to see if I could see something. If I'm losing that much I figure I could see something but I don't. I've changed the PCV valve to see if that would help. It was bad but it didn't stop anything.

Yikes... check your coolant carefully.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:10 AM   #5
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Yikes... check your coolant carefully.

indeedy.

Jack up the car and look for oil if no oil is visible in the coolant, it will be leaving a trail. Neon's were pretty bad for cam seals.
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:15 AM   #6
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
now when you say half... do you mean half way from the top of the safe zone on the dipstick? how much do you drive in 3 weeks, cuz 1L per 1000KM is what GM specifies for oil consumption on a 32v northstar engine. but yeah you probably have other problems
Old 02-24-2005, 02:54 AM   #7
chud298
CF Newbie

I drive maybe about a 100 miles a week. And yes when I say halfway I mean from the top of the safe zone.
1998 Neon R/T DOHC: AEM cold air intake, booger racing shifter bushings, B&M short shifter, MSD Ignition blaster coil, 8mm wires, 16 in. Maxxim Rumor rims with Toyo Proxes FZ4, Autometer oil pressure voltmeter gauges, polygrafite motor mounts, all around Euro lights
Old 02-26-2005, 01:08 PM   #8
Carcass
CF Newbie

Quote:
I drive maybe about a 100 miles a week. And yes when I say halfway I mean from the top of the safe zone.

How do u know it aint burning oil for a fact? U stated it ain`t burning it and thats a fact. explain how u ruled this out. No oil on ground means either ur burning it, it`s in ur antifreeze, or its pushing it into the exhaust. Can`t be too hard to find bud.

What oil u putting in her?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:22 AM   #9
chud298
CF Newbie

I know for a fact it's not because it wasn't smoking. So don't try to talk smart alright it ended up being the harmonick balance when they changed the timing belt. They pushed out the rear seal. Thanks anyways
Old 03-02-2005, 01:03 AM   #10
srober32
CF Addict

Hmmm, wonder why no sign of a leak was found under the car then...to me it sounds like the seat to steering wheel connector.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:34 AM   #11
chud298
CF Newbie

Yeah found it

Last edited by chud298 : 03-02-2005 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #12
spearthemechani
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
It is going somewhere. You are just going to have to find it. We don't have crystal balls. Atleast most of the time we don't.

How much oil is being consumed?

my compliements on the chrysler shes a beaut!!!!!!
"426 HEMI"

Last edited by spearthemechani : 03-02-2005 at 10:51 AM.
spearthemechani is offline   Reply With Quote