Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
misha
CF Newbie

favourite audi?

hey guys,
what would you say has got to be the best audi made?
im not too sure what would be in my oppinion, but the audi TT has got to be close to the top
misha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

This is a no brainer

Audi Quattro Sport

Street trim

Race trim

Story

The Audi Quattro has had one of the greatest impacts in the history of motor sports. The car essentially revolutionized rally racing, making all-wheel drive an essential part of a rally car. The road-going Quattro, first built in 1980, was also the first mass-produced all wheel drive car. The Sport Quattro, first appearing in 1984, was built to homologate a short-wheelbase Quattro racing car that would eventually go on to win the 1984 World Rally Championship with Stig Blomqvist at the wheel.

In appearance, the Sport Quattro differed from the standard version by its extra hood scoops and bulging wheel wells. White 15-inch multi-spoke wheels also gave the car away. The shortened wheelbase, however, was probably the most noticeable feature.

Chopping 12.6 inches off the standard Quattro in order to save weight, Audi essentially made the Sport Quattro a 2-seat car. Other weight-saving measures include Kevlar body panels. The hood and front and rear fenders are made of the lightweight material while the rest of the car is made of steel. The Sport Quattro is relatively light, tipping the scales at just over 2850 pounds. Weight distribution is very much toward the front of the car (62.1% front, 37.9% rear), giving the car a tendency to understeer. With the short wheelbase, however, lift-off oversteer can be easily achieved.

Oversteer can also be induced by slamming the throttle out of a turn using the extra power of the 2.1 liter turbocharged inline-5. While the standard Quattro model had a sufficient 200 horsepower, the Sport Quattro had an astounding 306 bhp @ 6700 rpm and peak torque is 258 lb-ft @ 3700 rpm due to a KKK K27 turbocharger. While these figures are considered the norm by today's standards, the Audi Sport Quattro was one of the most powerful road-going cars of its time.

With traction being split 50-50 between the front and rear wheels, the Sport Quattro not only had good grip in the corners but also off the line. This, combined with the extra power from the turbocharged engine, allowed the Sport Quattro to lay down some impressive performance times. 60 mph comes up in only 4.8 seconds, the century mark is passed in 12.6 seconds, and a 1/4 mile drag strip can be conquered in a mere 13.5 seconds at 104 mph. Top speed is limited to 155 mph due to the brick-like aerodynamics of the car.

The price tag of the Sport Quattro was just as astounding as its performance. Audi's original price for the car in 1984 was set at $75,000. However, with only 170 customer cars being built, the Sport Quattro has maintained its value over the years and cars in good condition will go for a price similar to the original. Overall, 200 Sport Quattros were built, with the thirty remaining cars being development or race cars.

Would the World Rally Championship be the same today if it weren't for the Quattro? Probably. Some other manufactuer would have discovered the advantage of using all four wheels to accelerate the car and put it to use soon enough. But Audi was the first company to employ an all-wheel-drive car successfully, and the Quattro will therefore go down in history as one of the greatest cars of all time.

End of Story

My 2nd Choice...the Audi S4

Old 02-24-2005, 01:13 AM   #3
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

A couple:
Audi RS6
Audi S4
Audi S3
Audi R8
favorite: the concept: Audi Le Mans

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:18 AM   #4
mirot
CF Enthusiast

speaking of audi's i always wondered what the differences between the "s" and the "rs" were.... all i know is this "rs" is better/faster/more expensive.. right?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:13 AM   #5
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

yea, mine would be the RS3.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:21 AM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Audi Coupe Quattro. Talk about a true legend. I love these cars in modified trim.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Audi Coupe Quattro. Talk about a true legend. I love these cars in modified trim.

Yea but w/o the Audi Quattro Sport...you never get that car...

Old 02-24-2005, 07:40 AM   #8
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

They are the same car....

Old 02-24-2005, 08:30 AM   #9
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

Quote:
They are the same car....

Not really...I am pretty sure you're Audi Quattro doesnt have 306HP and do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and weigh just over 2800 lbs

But bodystyle wise...your car is the evolution of mine...

Checked the numbers on the 90-91 Coupe Quattro...3300 lbs, 164 HP, 0-60 in 8.8 seconds...

Last edited by NISSANSPDR : 02-24-2005 at 08:34 AM.
NISSANSPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:50 AM   #10
misha
CF Newbie

Audi TT Coupe

Audi TT Roadster
misha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:20 PM   #11
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISSANSPDR
Not really...I am pretty sure you're Audi Quattro doesnt have 306HP and do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and weigh just over 2800 lbs

But bodystyle wise...your car is the evolution of mine...

Checked the numbers on the 90-91 Coupe Quattro...3300 lbs, 164 HP, 0-60 in 8.8 seconds...

Same I-5, more ameneties and confort options. I figure if a turbocharger were bought into the eqation a good 100-140HP more would come of it. Your car is more the Shelby of the series. The CQ is simply the Mustang... power with luxery...

None the less two very great cars.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:27 PM   #12
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

Quote:

None the less two very great cars.

Straight...
Old 02-24-2005, 11:28 PM   #13
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha
Audi TT Coupe

Looks it's a squashed VW Beetle!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:02 AM   #14
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirot
speaking of audi's i always wondered what the differences between the "s" and the "rs" were.... all i know is this "rs" is better/faster/more expensive.. right?
The RS's are high(er) performance models. From what I can tell, the only RS's in the States that are not imported 1 by 1 are the RS6's which are still pretty 1 by 1. The S's are pretty performancy from the get go. Great cars, all.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 04:49 AM   #15
fukwit
CF Newbie

Audi

I have driven a number of Audi's though sadly not the RS' variants. Audis are good cars. If i had all the money in the world I would buy an RS6 plus. I dont think you got this car in USA. but its an Rs6 with 480bhp!

The most extragant AUdi i have seen in the automotive press was a MTV spec Audi RS6 with 550bhp, and it had its rear seats ripped out and a 6 speed gearbox from the RS4 put into it. It costs 80,000 if anyone there is loaded. The stats are 0-60 in 4.1, but a staggering 0-100mph in 8.1 seconds!

Imagine beating Lamborghinis at the lights in one of those..even if AUdi now own lamborghini.
fukwit is offline   Reply With Quote