Thumbs down Rap....

Is rap the second language for retards?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:51 AM   #2
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
Is rap the second language for retards?

I don't know if I would put it that way...
...but the majority of it shouldn't be referred to as 'music'.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:54 AM   #3
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

I don't undestand how people can not like one type of music so immensly as to insult it.

Personnally, I listen to every type of music out there; punkrock,underground hip hop, country, techno...Everything. If you think rap is so retarded I suggest you listen to something like Dead Prez, Diverse, or Immortal Technique. I agree that some of the rap you hear on the radio is nothing more then "I slap hoes and smoke on drough" but actual hip hop is very intelligent and uses music as a conduit to vent whatever feelings the artist has through stories of everything from ghetto (the actual one, not the one 50 cent talks about) life to love.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:57 AM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
I don't undestand how people can not like one type of music so immensly as to insult it.

Personnally, I listen to every type of music out there; punkrock,underground hip hop, country, techno...Everything. If you think rap is so retarded I suggest you listen to something like Dead Prez, Diverse, or Immortal Technique. I agree that some of the rap you here on the radio is nothing more then "I slap hoes and smoke on drough" but actual hip hop is very intelligent and uses music as a conduit to vent whatever feelings the artist has through stories of everything from ghetto (the actual one, not the one 50 cent talks about) life to love.

I guess it is because of the Rap persona promoted by it's followers, the lyrics of the most popular "songs", the gangsta mentality, it's "role models"...

You want more reasons than that?

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Wait, wait, wait...

There is a huge variety of rap out there, there is a big difference between gangsta rap, hiphop, and R and B. So you can't say that they are all bad, and all push an image of the gangster lifestyle.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:05 AM   #6
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Wait, wait, wait...

There is a huge variety of rap out there, there is a big difference between gangsta rap, hiphop, and R and B. So you can't say that they are all bad, and all push an image of the gangster lifestyle.

Well...the thread question is on rap and not on hip-hop or R&B.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:15 AM   #7
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

But they are all lumped into the same group.

Kind of like how rock includes punk rock and classic rock.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:20 AM   #8
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
But they are all lumped into the same group.

Kind of like how rock includes punk rock and classic rock.

Some truth, however the stereotype fits quite well.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:49 AM   #9
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Really, really, REALLY off topic:

Hey bav, whats your favorite BMW of all time?

Just wondering. I recently got to test drive mine, an M coupe.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:01 AM   #10
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

The point hes trying to get across is that its ignorant to beleive in sterotypes. Regardless to how "well" they fit the subject at hand, its still ignorant. If you don't activley listen to all forms of rap, then you are'nt at any point in time inclinded to make a valuble judgment other than what you percieve to be associated with it. You may be right or wrong but eitherway its still very ignorant to incline judgment on something you don't understand.

There are lots of genres I don't generally listen to or understand but I'd never go as far as to say people who listen to it are retards. That would be ignorance. I may not understand it or like it, but I'm sure it has a purpose to someone else it would'nt exist.

Theres no point in defending any personal interest as it can be argued about untilt the end of time. The point at hand is'nt even don't knock it until you try it. I'm simply saying that its ignorant to judge something you don't understand or actively participate in. Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out the facts.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:20 AM   #11
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
The point hes trying to get across is that its ignorant to beleive in sterotypes. Regardless to how "well" they fit the subject at hand, its still ignorant. If you don't activley listen to all forms of rap, then you are'nt at any point in time inclinded to make a valuble judgment other than what you percieve to be associated with it. You may be right or wrong but eitherway its still very ignorant to incline judgment on something you don't understand.

There are lots of genres I don't generally listen to or understand but I'd never go as far as to say people who listen to it are retards. That would be ignorance. I may not understand it or like it, but I'm sure it has a purpose to someone else it would'nt exist.

Theres no point in defending any personal interest as it can be argued about untilt the end of time. The point at hand is'nt even don't knock it until you try it. I'm simply saying that its ignorant to judge something you don't understand or actively participate in. Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out the facts.

Ignorance is trying to defend something that doesn't need defending.

Ignorance is denying the most public persona of a given genre of music and it's proponents.

My favorite BMW of all time:

So much power and agility back in the late '80's...of which even in today's market is quite capable of challenging and out-performing even the riciest of rice in stock form.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:31 AM   #12
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Ignorance is trying to defend something that doesn't need defending.

Ignorance is denying the most public persona of a given genre of music and it's proponents.

I was'nt defending anything. Its your belief that it does'nt need defending. I was simply stating that its very ignorant to incline judgment upon something you don't even understand.

Never denyed anything about a "public persona", but as you should know from your time on this earth. Not everything portrayed in the public eye is as it really is.

If all your grounds for disagreeing with something is what you hear about it or see from the "public eye", then I'm afraind you're at a very misconieved perception of it. That is ignorance. Knowing that everything is'nt what it is said to be and still continuing to believe in it.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:22 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

The same way they do it about cars. it's stupid, but not very surprising anymore.

Basically people don't have enough brainpower to like more than one thing at a time, so they have to hate everything that isn't their favorite in order to justify having that favorite. They can't just like something because they like it, they have to like something because they hate something else. And they have to search out reasons to jsutify that hate, usually those reasons are extremely specious at best.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #14
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

Okay, all of you rap aficionados, give us some examples of artists and tracks that may change the general perception of rap (and please stick just to rap, R&B and hiphop, while related, are different forms of music). I'm always willing to try something new and like I stated in my first post don't believe that it all could be as horrible as what I hear on the radio, flipping past Mtv, and vibrating from that car next to me on the street.

Here's your chance. Prove your nay-sayers wrong.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:54 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothicaleigh
Okay, all of you rap aficionados,

Typical aggressive closed mindedness. If someone doesn't hate something, then they must be devout fans of it.

I can say I like Rock, but not like every rock song. Conversely I can say I don't like a whole buch of rock songs, and not say I don't like Rock music. And your'e in effect saying, if someone likes rap, then they obvioiusly like ALL of it. A != B

Quote:
(and please stick just to rap, R&B and hiphop, while related, are different forms of music).

Please tell us where your cut-offs for each are, so we don't inadvertantly give you one that you can dismiss as being one of the other... even a single artist will make an album with numerous genres on it (such as Outkast). I mean, "gansta rap" is only one genre within rap, but here we're trying to show that it ist't to people who really only want to argue about what constitutes a stereotype...

Jesus. How is it that I, one of the oldest HERE, am defending modern music choice?

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote