Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2005, 05:07 AM   #1
Flirtyboy04
CF Newbie

Octane

Ok I have a 92 accord and i run the cheapest gas around, but my question is I ran 103 octane one in my car and loved the idle and accleration was a lot better, so my questions are does that octane do it or is it just in my head, and will this damage my motor if i went to only running 103, i was thinking that because i get better gas milage with it then even 99 or 87 and miles per gallon it was cheaper?
Flirtyboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

It is in your head. No Accord sold in America to date needs above base level octane. I hate to say it dude, but you are just throwing your money away.

It won't hurt the engine to use it though, but it won't create any difference in performance either.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
Oomba
Banned

Same situation with my friend who has a 93 probe GT, thinks buying 103 is actually doing something for him.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Higer octane burns slower (so it resists detonation more at elevated compression levels). But because it burns slower, it won't burn completely in a car designed for lower octane, thus giving you worse fuel mileage, and possibly shortening the life of your catalytic converter. A little higher than recommended for your car won't hurt it (though it won't give any gains), but a lot higher is not good AND will perform worse. 103 octane in a car designed for regular won't even be assisted by knock senor ignition, as it won't advance the timing enough to take advantage of the higher octane.

Leave 103 octane for racing engines and performance engines with 12:1 or greater compression.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

all right, im going to work out what im trying to say while saying it, so it probably won't make much sense, but:

I have always known that higher octane is just to help against a case of the knocks in high comppression applications, right? Well, what about forced induction? Is a higher octane needed then? I mean, I know there's a difference between say a turbo probe and an STI, but would the probe require high octane?

And what about bikes? My friend has a Ducati 750 super sport and a triumph TT6, the triumphs compression is 14:1 and he normally runs 93 octane, but he says he has put 87 in it before and it ran fine.

And the last question I have is this; if a car is made to run premium only, like say a third gen rx-7, and you always put premium in it, will you get any performance gains off racing fuel, lke 101 octane?