Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2005, 05:11 AM   #31
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
that little hole on the bottom of your water pump is one of the first signs of a failure, if coolant is coming outa there, you need a new one... period
Old 03-04-2005, 07:25 AM   #32
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
that little hole on the bottom of your water pump is one of the first signs of a failure, if coolant is coming outa there, you need a new one... period

Ummm... No. That's the sign of a bad gasket. Or since it's leaking from beneath the waterpump, not saying it's coming from the waterpump itself, it could just be a hose too.

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 03-04-2005 at 07:28 AM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #33
srober32
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Ummm... No. That's the sign of a bad gasket. Or since it's leaking from beneath the waterpump, not saying it's coming from the waterpump itself, it could just be a hose too.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:00 AM   #34
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

The hole is called a weep hole and when coolant starts to weep out of it. CHANGE THE GODDAMN PUMP. it is the seal for the waterpump shaft and when the seal starts to leak, means either some foriegn cause deteriorated the seal or in most cases the bearing has play and the shaft is starting to walk and the seal is no longer working at that point, if it's a hose... it'll leak at the hose, if it's a gasket it'll leak at the mating surface, if the pump itself is f-ed up it'll leak out that hole
Old 03-05-2005, 11:47 PM   #35
srober32
CF Addict

Quote:
The hole is called a weep hole and when coolant starts to weep out of it. CHANGE THE GODDAMN PUMP. it is the seal for the waterpump shaft and when the seal starts to leak, means either some foriegn cause deteriorated the seal or in most cases the bearing has play and the shaft is starting to walk and the seal is no longer working at that point, if it's a hose... it'll leak at the hose, if it's a gasket it'll leak at the mating surface, if the pump itself is f-ed up it'll leak out that hole
Calm down Banff, and read my signature. Because he ain't worth gettign pissed over.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:24 AM   #36
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:

Oh I thought you were talking about a hole on the mating surface, my bad.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:50 AM   #37
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

im not gettin mad it's just whenever coolant has been leaking out of that hole i tell the customer and all they say is oh i know, or sum BS, or i even give them a full estimate for the pump job and they snub there nose, what do i know i'm just some punk kid, the industry has gotten such a bad name from bad shops, and everyone just thinks your trying to soak them for money, i wish darwins theory of survival of the fittest still applied today cuz most people would be dead. thats why i phrased it REPLACE THE GODDAMN PUMP, don't kid yourself you need a new one.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:02 AM   #38
srober32
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Oh I thought you were talking about a hole on the mating surface, my bad.
Umm humm
Old 03-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #39
Pure Amature
CF Newbie

Quote:
im not gettin mad it's just whenever coolant has been leaking out of that hole i tell the customer and all they say is oh i know, or sum BS, or i even give them a full estimate for the pump job and they snub there nose, what do i know i'm just some punk kid, the industry has gotten such a bad name from bad shops, and everyone just thinks your trying to soak them for money, i wish darwins theory of survival of the fittest still applied today cuz most people would be dead. thats why i phrased it REPLACE THE GODDAMN PUMP, don't kid yourself you need a new one.

Well BanffAutoSpa_ap you were right.
My pump totally failed yesterday. I am planning on replacing it in the next day or two. I live in Northeast Ohio....any tips on how much a New Water Pump should cost...as opposed to geetin one from a a junkyard?
And I would imagine there might be other expenses like a gasket or seal?

Thanks in advance for any insight

PA
Pure Amature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:08 PM   #40
srober32
CF Addict

Well, in south east Michigan they run about 35 bucks rebuilt. Take off the old one first and take it with you to make sure it is the correct part, and to exchange if there is a core charge.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 AM   #41
Pure Amature
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by srober32
Well, in south east Michigan they run about 35 bucks rebuilt. Take off the old one first and take it with you to make sure it is the correct part, and to exchange if there is a core charge.

Thanks for the tip~
Im finding 35-50 dollars is about the quotes Im getting.

Toughest part is Ive started taking the parts that need removed Shroud, Fan Hoses etc...) and Im using a small Space Heater...and its 19 degrees with snow flyin' here in good ld Ohio!!!

I am truley a PURE AMATURE.....................LOL

Last edited by Pure Amature : 03-10-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:38 AM   #42
srober32
CF Addict

I feel ya, that is the snow we just missed, lol!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:45 AM   #43
Pure Amature
CF Newbie

Unhappy Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by srober32
I feel ya, that is the snow we just missed, lol!

I should have made a Video of my work today in my Garage.
I bet it would be the Box-Office Comedy Hit of the Year!

I have a greater appreciation for Techs now.....it is knuckle bustin, back bending, wrench dropping, bolt losing and samll confine space work Ive ever done

I backed into my space heater and burned my ass....

Once I figured out that it was a 10 mill socket I needed ( metric for a Chevy?)
the tool Kit I had went in the following order 7,8,9,11,12..etc...
Thats right...for some reason they SKIPPED a 10 mill socket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No empty holder...it wasnt a mistake...they just figured they could leave out
Number 10!

Fortunately I had a wrench.

Did I mention my hands are bloody? My back aches from bending over...
and it was STILL 20 degrees outside.

Im tellin ya...it would have made a great Comedy.
No wonder mechanics cuss and drink alot after work......

PA
Old 03-11-2005, 02:02 AM   #44
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

LOL well good work buddy, now you will be one of those people who doesn't nit pick and argue every little penny on your bill(assuming you get some work done ) some people don't appreciate what we do they think tools and time should be free or at least dirt cheap, it's 2005 for god sakes this aint your grandpa's old chevy, and it doesn't cost 25 dollars for a tune up, anyway, i don't drink and the stress level is very minimal, the only thing that chokes me is customers who just need a reason to bitch and complain, a guy asked me if i'd check a coolant leak for him i said sure, and promptly drove the car into the shop, pressurized the cooling system(that tool was at least 150$) and looked and looked and finally found the heater core leak(about 10-20 mins of total time) so then i even gave him an estimate and everything he snubbed his nose at me and asked for his keys(it was a 500$ job because the entire dash had to come out) in the end he was about to walk away when i gave him the bill for the minimum shop charg which was 25.00$ i even saved him 10 bucks cuz i didn't put it down as a cooling system pressure test..... i thought i was being nice he was like WTF i didn't know it would cost me just to look at it, i was furious and calmy asked what do you do for a living, he was a doctor or sum BS and i asked do you work for free, are your tools free and READ THE GODDAMN SIGN minimum charge for f-sakes, either way i told him to take it somewhere else cuz i didn't wanna look at his stupid face anymore, so he drove away and hopefully siezed his motor shortly after, anyway that was my rant bad customers are few and far between but they sure make you wanna freak out and stab someone when they do that.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:05 AM   #45
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

oh and the bloody hands will stop after a few years... the skin gets pretty thick