Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2003, 11:46 PM   #16
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Well. I just saw this while surfing around and thought it might add so the dialoge.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031120/bs_nm/autos_ford_dc_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by above link
"It's a product improvement program. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the quality of the fuel delivery module. It doesn't fail instantaneously or suddenly," Ray said.


"The root cause of the problem we've discovered in North America progressively over time is the variability and unpredictability of the gasoline-petrol standards in North America."

Of course...the 'ole, "It's not my fault." excuse. My son (7yrs) uses this one too...
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:49 PM   #17
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Well. I just saw this while surfing around and thought it might add so the dialoge.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031120/bs_nm/autos_ford_dc_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by above link
"It's a product improvement program. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the quality of the fuel delivery module. It doesn't fail instantaneously or suddenly," Ray said.


"The root cause of the problem we've discovered in North America progressively over time is the variability and unpredictability of the gasoline-petrol standards in North America."

Of course...the 'ole, "It's not my fault." excuse. My son (7yrs) uses this one too...

Time to get him a job as a US auto company executive. He'd probably be the president of GM in no time. 8)
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:09 AM   #18
civisi99
CF Newbie
 
civisi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphias87
I always hear that Ford's are bad cars. Since I'm not a car expert I was wondering what you guys opinion is on Fords. Do you think they have any good models out there or are they just bad? :?:

Ford mustangs can be alright cars...and they can be bad...depends what kind of mustang you get and how well u maintain ur vehicle.....Ford Focus sucks and has one of the worst reliabilty ratings according to consumer reports....u get what u pay for
civisi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #19
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by civisi99
Ford mustangs can be alright cars...and they can be bad...depends what kind of mustang you get and how well u maintain ur vehicle.....Ford Focus sucks and has one of the worst reliabilty ratings according to consumer reports....u get what u pay for

Actually, Ford Focuses have been rated very high in consumer reports, and have made Car and Drivers Top 10 list 5 years running.

Now, on to the question. Fords are very reliable cars. Its just a matter of how you take car of your car and how it is driven. My Mustang has a 351 Windsor that makes close to 700hp and it has 20,000 miles on it no problems, even though I take it out to the track every weekend, and its used as my daily driver for the most part. Ive driven Fords that have up and over 400,000miles. Sometimes there can be mishaps on the assembly line, but that can happen with any car manufactuer. If you look at how Ford assembles their cars compared to Chevrolet and Dodge, youll see a huge difference in effort they put into making their cars better, and safer. Especially their trucks. If you go to Fords official website, and look at their videos of "The Truth" About Trucks, youll see how much more effort they put into building their trucks tougher and better than other manufactuers. Why do you think the F-150 has been the best selling truck in the world for 28 years? The Ford Explorer is Americas most trusted SUV. Read the facts. Go and drive them for yourself and then compare then to other manufactuers.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #20
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
( << isn't even going to mention that Dodge Ram remains the number one choice for farmers, or the fact that the Dodge Caravan is the number one selling vehicle, period. )
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #21
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
( << isn't even going to mention that Dodge Ram remains the number one choice for farmers, or the fact that the Dodge Caravan is the number one selling vehicle, period. )

Yes, Caravan is the number one selling vehicle. But who buys them? Soccer moms. Do soccer moms know that theyll be in the shop every other weekend?

Dodge Rams are great trucks...but I dont see as many farmers using them as I do Fords. At least not around here.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:04 AM   #22
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Yes, Caravan is the number one selling vehicle. But who buys them? Soccer moms. Do soccer moms know that theyll be in the shop every other weekend?

Dodge Rams are great trucks...but I dont see as many farmers using them as I do Fords. At least not around here.


uhmmm, my dad had a 92 carvan for courier driving, never went into the shop once.

my mom(for some inane reason) bought a 2002 caravan, never have had any issues.

so whats that unfounded statement about them being in the shop every weekend?...

as for rams, they sure are popular around here
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #23
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
( << isn't even going to mention that Dodge Ram remains the number one choice for farmers, or the fact that the Dodge Caravan is the number one selling vehicle, period. )

Don't pull stats out your ass, dude. Here's an example for 2003: http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...8/article.html

Notice the Caravan isn't even on the top 10 list of best sellers, but the F150 tops it?

Same for 2002:
http://www.ohioinsurance.org/factboo...apter1_n.shtml

If you go back to 2000, it shows up on the list, at number 9 (and notice what's on top then?)
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...8/article.html

The fact is, while some years the Caravan is on the list, it's never been the top selling vehicle.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:18 PM   #24
Voda48
CF Lance Fan
 
Voda48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Don't pull stats out your ass, dude. Here's an example for 2003: http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...8/article.html

Notice the Caravan isn't even on the top 10 list of best sellers, but the F150 tops it?

Same for 2002:
http://www.ohioinsurance.org/factboo...apter1_n.shtml

If you go back to 2000, it shows up on the list, at number 9 (and notice what's on top then?)
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...8/article.html

The fact is, while some years the Caravan is on the list, it's never been the top selling vehicle.


Chris, laying the smack down

Besides fellas, your personal experiences count for just a small fraction of the population and really have no statisical significance at all. In fact 80% of statistics are made up on site anyways

~PS Civic kid you have this unique talent for reviving (sp?) old threads
__________________
Here's my Website: Voda's Webpage It is in dire need of updating.
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:34 PM   #25
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyaviper
ok, personally, where im from, i know it might sound a little dumb, but people go with what they grew up on, i grew up on Chevy, do i think that fords are bad cars, no, i dont think so, but personally, i would never own one.

Why would you never own one?
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:12 PM   #26
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
The fact is, while some years the Caravan is on the list, it's never been the top selling vehicle.


How about you don't overlook the fact that I am NOT american. Those are AMERICAN stats. I was referring to CANADIAN stats. So no, I was NOT pulling stats out of my ass, "dude".

You want the stats?

Stats for Feb 2005:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/050405-3.htm

Stats for 2002:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/030211-1.htm

(Side note: It appears that Canada isn't too huge on keeping top-selling vehicle lists)
But it seems to me like the Caravan tops the sales in Canada quite often.

Just because your American does not mean that I am. Please do not overlook that.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:41 PM   #27
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
How about you don't overlook the fact that I am NOT american. Those are AMERICAN stats. I was referring to CANADIAN stats. So no, I was NOT pulling stats out of my ass, "dude".

then you ought to CLARIFY where those stats are, so you aren't picking and choosing to make your point, ESPECIALLY when taliing to a large number of people in the US about US products.

"it's the best selling vehicle to fat lesbians in Nova Scotia, so it's the best vehicle in the world!"

Fact is, as far as numbers are concerned, it still doesn't sell in Canada as well as it does in the US, and it rarely cracks the top ten in the US. So saying it's a much better vehicle because it tops the stats in a much smaller market is disengenuous, at best.

And while I defend Chrysler products, like my PT, and Ford products, like my SVT Contour, I won't use sales figures to determine what's "best" or not. Popularity only means popularity, not what's best. Vastly less M3s are sold that Caravans, so does that mean M3s are worse vehciles than Caravans? If popularity did mean best all the time, then American Idol was the best show on television...
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:30 PM   #28
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
then you ought to CLARIFY where those stats are, so you aren't picking and choosing to make your point, ESPECIALLY when taliing to a large number of people in the US about US products.

"it's the best selling vehicle to fat lesbians in Nova Scotia, so it's the best vehicle in the world!"

Fact is, as far as numbers are concerned, it still doesn't sell in Canada as well as it does in the US, and it rarely cracks the top ten in the US. So saying it's a much better vehicle because it tops the stats in a much smaller market is disengenuous, at best.

And while I defend Chrysler products, like my PT, and Ford products, like my SVT Contour, I won't use sales figures to determine what's "best" or not. Popularity only means popularity, not what's best. Vastly less M3s are sold that Caravans, so does that mean M3s are worse vehciles than Caravans? If popularity did mean best all the time, then American Idol was the best show on television...

I think someone should appoint Chris to mod.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:37 AM   #29
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
then you ought to CLARIFY where those stats are, so you aren't picking and choosing to make your point, ESPECIALLY when taliing to a large number of people in the US about US products.

"it's the best selling vehicle to fat lesbians in Nova Scotia, so it's the best vehicle in the world!"

Fact is, as far as numbers are concerned, it still doesn't sell in Canada as well as it does in the US, and it rarely cracks the top ten in the US. So saying it's a much better vehicle because it tops the stats in a much smaller market is disengenuous, at best.

And while I defend Chrysler products, like my PT, and Ford products, like my SVT Contour, I won't use sales figures to determine what's "best" or not. Popularity only means popularity, not what's best. Vastly less M3s are sold that Caravans, so does that mean M3s are worse vehciles than Caravans? If popularity did mean best all the time, then American Idol was the best show on television...

Jesus christ, again! You just love being a prig I think. An ego-centrical one at that. Honestly, just because I am talking to americans does not mean that i have to think like an american. You think the US is the best...why the hell did you guys get attacked by terrorists and not Canada?....ohhhh snap, did I go there? I'm sorry, that must have hurt your patriotism a little.

how about this one:

"Ford Trucks rank Number 1 to backwater hicks, so it's the best vehicle in the world!"

And talk about putting words in my mouth. I never said that Caravans were better because they're the top selling vehicle in Canada, or that Rams are better because they're more popular for farmers in Canada. I simply noted that (up here) they are two of the most-bought/most-popular vehicles on the roads. And just because Canada is a smaller market doesn't mean jack shit, to be honest.

You want to know why I honestly feel Ford has been a top-selling truck? Because they're cheaper. I know someone is going to give me some shit about how they're built better, I am not referring to that. I am referring to cost. They are cheaper to buy then a Ram. For a lot of people, that has a lot to do with a vehicle purchase, I know it sure would with me.


I've said it before, and I'll say it again Chris. Before you start attacking people, ask for clarification. You obviously didn't read the thread in which I apologized to you for doing that once already. Maybe if you notice that any post that I only write a sentence or two in is done in the morning, right before i leave for work. Which means that I usually do not have a lot of time, but just feel like tossing a thought out there. Also take into consideration my age, 18. I do not claim to know it all, nor do I go against someone else, unless I know that they are wrong, and I am sure they are. In other words, give me a bit of breathing space, I'm sure you didn't know all you do now at 18.


(bet you didn't even notice that we share the same day of birth - august 1st)
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #30
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
Jesus christ, again! You just love being a prig I think. An ego-centrical one at that. Honestly, just because I am talking to americans does not mean that i have to think like an american.

It's called a CONVERSATION and if you want to get your point across, then you need to make SUUURE you're clear on your point. It isn't about being American or Canadian, (but you have to go and make it all political, don't you?), but about MAKING SURE you're statement of "fact" cannot be construed any other way.


Quote:
You think the US is the best...why the hell did you guys get attacked by terrorists and not Canada?....ohhhh snap, did I go there? I'm sorry, that must have hurt your patriotism a little.

See this is the problem, you turn a conversational point into a f*cking political point. MY statements had nothing to do with the US being "best," or anything ABOUT patriotism, only pointing out that your statement had zero to do with WHERE your facts supposedly were taking place. If you want to make sure EVERYONE here understands you're talking about CANADIAN sales of a vehicle, SAY SO, don't just make the assumption. Because sales are so much lower overall in Canada, you HAVE to understand it's a "specialty market." And not one you simply make generalizations about without pointing out WHERE yo're getting yoru facts from! How f*cking hard IS that?????

Quote:
And talk about putting words in my mouth. I never said that Caravans were better because they're the top selling vehicle in Canada, or that Rams are better because they're more popular for farmers in Canada. I simply noted that (up here) they are two of the most-bought/most-popular vehicles on the roads.

The PROBLEM is that you did NOT simply note that they are teh best seelers UP THERE! In fact you never mentioned UP THERE untill called out on your use of statistics...

And this is a thread on whether Fords are good or bad, even MENTIONING Dodge's sales in a thread about that constitutes a statement of you thinking they are better (which goes along with your username, doesn't it?) It's about CONTEXT. Do you even understand the concept of CONTEXT?



Quote:
You want to know why I honestly feel Ford has been a top-selling truck? Because they're cheaper. I know someone is going to give me some shit about how they're built better, I am not referring to that. I am referring to cost. They are cheaper to buy then a Ram. For a lot of people, that has a lot to do with a vehicle purchase, I know it sure would with me.

Economies of scale. They can be cheaper because they sell more. But it hasn't always been about that, as they only had 7% of teh truck market when they were about the same cost. When teh previous bodystyle Ram arived in the early '90s, they shot to 25% of the market on style alone, and then held it. They started costing more because people were willing to pay more. And they've also been making simply better trucks for that money, compared to anything pre '92 or so. But Ford and GM still seel teh F150 and C1500 as the basis for a LARGE line of larger trucks, and fleet sales mean that if you're going to buy a few F450s and F650s for your large work trucks, you're probably going to be buying a package of F150s, F250s and/or F350s as the smaller work trucks. Same for the GM fleet sales. Dodge relies primarily on retail sales and light-medium duty cab/chassis sales, and no longer builds the rigs bigger than a 3500 series. In that regard, they are self-limiting in teh overall truck maretplace.


[/quote]I've said it before, and I'll say it again Chris. Before you start attacking people, ask for clarification.[/quote]

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "think, type, submit." People have more than enough chance to geet their point across. I don't think I should have to hand hold people and babysit until they're thinking straight.

Quote:
You obviously didn't read the thread in which I apologized to you for doing that once already.

And I assumed that since you already knew it's a problem, you wouldn't repeat it. So I take what you say NOW in context as you meaning to say it just that way.


Quote:
Maybe if you notice that any post that I only write a sentence or two in is done in the morning, right before i leave for work. Which means that I usually do not have a lot of time, but just feel like tossing a thought out there.

So maybe you should wait until your thoughts are clearer and make a complete, coherent statement instead of expecting us to interpret your statements based on whether you're awake or not.


Quote:
Also take into consideration my age, 18. I do not claim to know it all, nor do I go against someone else, unless I know that they are wrong, and I am sure they are. In other words, give me a bit of breathing space, I'm sure you didn't know all you do now at 18.

And I didn't go around making unsubstantiated claims, either. I asked questions, listened, read, and kept my mouth shut otherwise. I certainly wouldn't have thought to come to a public forum and make unsubstantiated statements of opinion, and expect to be taken seriously.

Of course, by the time I was 18, I had been racing for 3 years (and was on the second race car I had built myself), and had been working in a vintage car restoration shop for 4 years... I had learned by 18 just how much I had yet to learn, and have made it a point to never stop learning.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lookign for a good manual for under 10k spadassin General Chat 7 09-25-2004 02:43 AM
ford's 1973 boss 302 simster570 Classic Cars 12 06-27-2004 07:11 AM
Looking for a good import in SoCal rozzy Asian Imports 0 07-04-2003 07:10 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.