Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2003, 03:18 AM   #1
Gunter

Stick Shift Knobs

I'm wondering if the stock knobs that come on ford rangers (if it makes a difference) just screw on/off or if you have to take the whole boot off and use an allen wrench to unscrew it?
Old 11-11-2003, 04:05 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Stick Shift Knobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter
I'm wondering if the stock knobs that come on ford rangers (if it makes a difference) just screw on/off or if you have to take the whole boot off and use an allen wrench to unscrew it?

Is this a Ranger you're working on and do you just want to remove the knob or the whole shift lever? Yes it makes a difference.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:10 AM   #3
Gunter

Yes its a ranger and i just want to remove the knob, i hear its held in with a strong adhesive and all i need to do is pull it off but i'd liek to be sure.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:14 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Yes its a ranger and i just want to remove the knob, i hear its held in with a strong adhesive and all i need to do is pull it off but i'd liek to be sure.

That is correct. Unfortunately more often than not when you pull it off you'll find it near impossible to reinstall properly. If you're changing the knob then just give it a good twist and yank.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-11-2003, 04:18 AM   #5
Gunter

crap that is waht i was afraid of, not being able to reinstall it properly. Hmmm guess i'll have to take my chances or just not do it :? BTW do you know what kind of adhesive is used? Maybe then i can do a better job of reinstalling it if i choose to.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:19 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
crap that is waht i was afraid of, not being able to reinstall it properly. Hmmm guess i'll have to take my chances or just not do it :?

Why do you want to take it off? There may be a better solution.

Old 11-11-2003, 04:22 AM   #7
Gunter

I want to change it so i have a better looking knob, no real good reason to tell the truth.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:25 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I want to change it so i have a better looking knob, no real good reason to tell the truth.

Well then as I said previously, it doesn't matter if you're changing the knob. Why? Because your CHANGING THE KNOB.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:51 PM   #9
Gunter

Now that i think about it, i don't understand why it would be so hard to get back on, if you were to just buy a contact cement for the right type of material, all you'd do is smear a little on the knob and stick it back in, i don't understand the problem that everyone seems to have, maybe i'm missing something and people have already tried this and failed for some odd reason :?