Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2005, 01:55 AM   #1
Toadopher
CF Newbie

Angry 92 cavalier

No start....when it feels like it. For a long time I thought it was the cold freezing the gasline. But that no longer explains it happening when its not that cold out and will start fine other times when its -23. I've also driven it for an hour, stopped at a store only to have it not start when i came back out. I don't want to pay some mechanic to "investigate" and charge an arm, so would like some ideas.....anyone know what this could be??...it has power. it has spark.
Toadopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
srober32
CF Addict

The engine turns normally? Might be a bad fuel pump.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
Toadopher
CF Newbie

Angry

yes..the engine wants to turn over....but just wont quite do it...ive thought of the fuel pump or line etc...what about the crg valve or whatever??
Old 03-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
carls47807
CF Freak

what do you mean

When you say it wants to turn over, do you mean it turns slowly or barely at all?

If your motor isn't cranking over rapidly (to the point where you can hear the cylinders firing), you may be dealing with a bad battery.

If your motor is cranking over rapidly, but it isn't starting, then yes you could have a bad fuel pump. You should be able to hear the pump growl when you turn the ignition on (but don't engage the starter). If you hear the pump kick on, you have an ignition issue.

Check your wires, and coils.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
Toadopher
CF Newbie

I just paid canadian tire 85.$ for a complete diagnostics...and they told me it was my head gasket...that coolant is getting into my oil and plugs ultimately creating a no start at times......funny thing is...when the car is running,,,,it runs smooth and great..would love to have a second opinion, but car isnt worth the cost.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
osborste
the canuck tech

if the heads leaking anti freeze into the oil for this long since you had the starting problem the bearings would be shot lots of noise/banging from the engine and your oil level would be overfull and white foamy colour i would check fuel pump and relay as well oil psi switch and relay most gm's will activate the fuel pump for a few sec to pressurize the fuel line then the oil psi relay takes over if low psi or bad relay(cutting in and out) the fuel pump curcuit doesn't activate till the next key cycle(off/start) now you said it wants to turn over have a load test done on the battery and have charging system checked low battery volts/amp will cause engine starter to turn slow also if battery and charging system are ok the check the start amp draw if the starter is failing the amps will be high check battery and starter connections for corrossion i only use canadian tire for tires and buying parts that i can't get elsewhere i know of to many ripoff's/mis diagnosis that have happened with there TRAINED TECHS good luck
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:49 AM   #7
the lobster
CF Addict

check the battery

check the side post connects.they are very tempermental.if the computer does not see 900 rpm it will not energize the fuel system properly.the 3.1
v6 are also know for bad hall effect units in the ignition.check alll the wires too.sometimes it is the minor stuff.what about the choke plate in the throttle body? check and clean the throttle body. a dirty air cleaner will do amazing things too,depending on the air pressure(temp) the map sensor will do weird stuff.....
the lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Toadopher
CF Newbie

i agree with canadian tire being a rip off...but when the car started for the first time in 2 wks i had to get it somewhere that could run a full diagnostics....anyway.....air filter is clean and new....fuel pump makes normal sound on key turn without starting....when i try to start car...its a full sounding start except it just wont...its not sounding bogged down or hesitant...spark plugs are all clean and fairly new....ecm checked out fine....i have wondered about that cgv valve or whatever??....this is a 750 dollar car...so i am not replacing much..and im a chick so bear with me....also...battery is not corroded....i dont know what to do..i need my car!!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:33 AM   #9
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
hows the coolant level? and the oil level, monitoring fluid levels can be the key to your personal diagnostics.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #10
Toadopher
CF Newbie

ok....i would like to thank you all for your great input....but i have one more question.......if my head gasket was blown or almost blown....would i be able to drive it when it decides to start and would the motor run smoothly without any clanking or noise whatsoever???...this seems very odd to me that canadian tire would say thats my no start problem. my fluids are fine and checked reg....it just starts when it wants to....literally i could be at a store..come out and it wont start...this has to be something else?...there is no sign of oil or coolant in oil or on spark plugs....this sucks!
Old 03-17-2005, 02:48 PM   #11
osborste
the canuck tech

now that i have re read all the input from everyone it is very likly you have a bad starter you say it almost turns over at time(engine is at operating temp)starter is hot have the starter checked then recheck the starting cable from battery to starter might have corrosion (green rust) at battery end after the end clamp inside casing of the cable the connection at the starter has two wire a heavy guage for the starter motor and a small wire for the solinoid(heavy duty relay for the starter motor) if you want to try and clean these connections make sure to disconnect the battery or you might do some arc welding(grounding out the battery)

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!

Last edited by osborste : 03-17-2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #12
Toadopher
CF Newbie

hey...sry to sound dumb..LOL...can i do this myself?....check the cable from battery to starter....or do i need some special tools or can i only have shop check starter?...is there a backyard method??
Old 03-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #13
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadopher
hey...sry to sound dumb..LOL...can i do this myself?....check the cable from battery to starter....or do i need some special tools or can i only have shop check starter?...is there a backyard method??
if you can remove the starter you might be able to bench test it remove the starter put in vise tight enough to hold it not crush it then get a set of booster cables the big bolt is the main starter motor the small is the soliniod(power from the key switch) connect positive to the big bolt and a small wire to the little bolt then attach the ground- to the vise you are ready to test the small wire touch the positve cable at starter not the battery(you don't want sparks at the battery) the starter should kick out the toothed gear and spin really fast if so the starter should be fine if you are not sure most parts store's have a tool to do an armature test if the starter doesn't rotate or kick out the gear then you can be sure the starter is gone if it works clean the connections you removed at the start sandpaper works well clean it down to a shine then reconnect it and try with the key also i'm wondering has any work been done to the steering colum the ignition box might be out of adjustment do you have to force the key to the start position

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

Last edited by osborste : 03-17-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #14
Toadopher
CF Newbie

ty very very much....i have been finding it hard to believe the car runs so smoothly with a bad head gasket...it doesnt make sense....so yes..i will try that....god bless ya
Old 03-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #15
osborste
the canuck tech

how are you doing did ya get it fixed

my new toy