Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2005, 01:57 AM   #1
fordman86
CF Newbie

pontiac 6000 oil pressure

when going down the highway lots of oil pressure, city driving it drops low then to zero but doesnt make any lifter noise or weird sounds or anything, get back on the highway and within 5 minutes the gauge is climbing again, anyone have any ideas??? Oil pump or sending unit?
fordman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:12 AM   #2
spearthemechani
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman86
when going down the highway lots of oil pressure, city driving it drops low then to zero but doesnt make any lifter noise or weird sounds or anything, get back on the highway and within 5 minutes the gauge is climbing again, anyone have any ideas??? Oil pump or sending unit?

most of my experience has been on gm products and 1 thing i have learned is even though the v8 and v6's (pre 90's) are simple they tend to be a little finnike (touchy) even the slightest change in oil pressure fuel pressure vacum ect tends to p*** it off. your temporary setback is very unique indeed i would attach a pressure gauge in place of the sending unit in order to recieve a DIRECT reading from your oil pressure while car is at idle it should read about 30 lbs (i think.. check specs to make sure) if it shows any unusually low readings and/or fluctuations it is your oil pump if the readings are consistant and nominal it is your sending unit i hope this helps
spearthemechani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:17 AM   #3
fordman86
CF Newbie

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthemechani
most of my experience has been on gm products and 1 thing i have learned is even though the v8 and v6's (pre 90's) are simple they tend to be a little finnike (touchy) even the slightest change in oil pressure fuel pressure vacum ect tends to p*** it off. your temporary setback is very unique indeed i would attach a pressure gauge in place of the sending unit in order to recieve a DIRECT reading from your oil pressure while car is at idle it should read about 30 lbs (i think.. check specs to make sure) if it shows any unusually low readings and/or fluctuations it is your oil pump if the readings are consistant and nominal it is your sending unit i hope this helps

Thanks, that is tomorrow's plan, just wondered if GM people had heard of this one, I know in a ford either the gauge is messed up or your lifters are makin alot of noise, thanks again
Old 03-02-2005, 02:20 AM   #4
spearthemechani
CF Newbie

Quote:
Thanks, that is tomorrow's plan, just wondered if GM people had heard of this one, I know in a ford either the gauge is messed up or your lifters are makin alot of noise, thanks again

anytime
Old 03-02-2005, 02:29 AM   #5
fordman86
CF Newbie

pontiac 6000

going to call GM and a parts supply store see if they have heard of this problem before, I know I havent seen it and it is scary in the big city of Calgary when your gauge goes to zero in rushhour traffic, just a little panic sets in, lol; anyways thanks again
Old 03-02-2005, 02:37 AM   #6
spearthemechani
CF Newbie

Quote:
going to call GM and a parts supply store see if they have heard of this problem before, I know I havent seen it and it is scary in the big city of Calgary when your gauge goes to zero in rushhour traffic, just a little panic sets in, lol; anyways thanks again

rotflmao yea id imagine calgary is a bit chilly this time of year and loss of oil pressure would put a damper on things that is why i stick to the south-west US not much cold stuff around here heck i was workin on my car today without a shirt on lol
normally when u lose oil pressure on gm motors the lifters chatter so if your not chattering 9 out of 10 says u have a faulty sending unit