Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
jdubya
CF Enthusiast

Why?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...QQcmdZViewItem

Why would someone spend that much money to do that, when they could just buy a skyline for about the same price?

PRELUDE POWER!
jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

That's a sweet interior, and the engine has some mods...doesn't really look too bad either...I don't know if anyone else agrees, but I actually like this car...
Old 10-17-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
jdubya
CF Enthusiast

the car looks alright, but i dont understand why they did that still.

PRELUDE POWER!
jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

People with too much money, and don't Skylines go for like $50,000?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

I have actually seen that car before on the street and it looked awesome. AT first i though it was a skyline and i was like ohh yeah first time ever i see a skyline and then i look at the back of it and all i realize that an accord so i was dissapointed Now as far saying that skyline costs the same that is no way thats true. Skyline would cost like 40k to buy new, then like 5k to import at least. Then you have to make it legal in the US and thats around 15k. ( i am not totally sure about price) SO as you can see thats 55k. Now also some mods like this one would cost you some money so bassically u would spend 60k+ if you would buy a skyline.
V-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I don't think it's that bad. The paint color is decent, the exterior doesn't have gaudy graphics or oversized wings. I'm not a fan of the Gucci interior bits, but it looks to have a decent engine/trans package. I'd say it's a customized Accord rather than a Skyline, however, as saying it's a Skyline clone looks like a poseur, vs simply being customized (just like a '50 Mercury with a '55 Desoto grille wasn't trying to BE a '55 Desoto, just a custom '50 Mercury).

He has a bit invested, but I'd say a good chunk of that is in the Gucci name brand stuff and the stereo which isn't included in the sale.

I like the integration of the taillights, but I'd change the openings on the front bumper just to smooth it out.

Yeah, you can often "buy" stuff that is already done out of the box, like a stock Skyline. But often there is pride and enjoyment in the hobby of making something yourself. Until you do it, you often won't understand that feeling.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:35 AM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

The interior is probably where he spent at least 1/3 of that $30,000. Honestly, that's a very clean Accord (clean in a modification sense, not stock looking or of that sort). He doesnt have a gaudy wing (Although the interior is quite gaudy) and the front rear lights are integrated quite nicely. He has quite a good amount of performance mods too, really strengthened up that F23. The sound system isn't too impressive by my means but that's a typical "look I have JL Audio" for a show car. He spent probably a good amount on the sound system though, looks like those are old 10" W6's (probably spent about $300 a piece on those) and the Kicker amp new is about $250-$300. The HU looks to be a screen display one so that's another $1,000-$1,500 (typical of show cars to have them). I'm sure he replaced the door speakers and rear deck as well so we can guess anywhere from $200-$600 for that probably.

I bet he's putting down at least a good 300whp on the nitrous if he's running near stock boost that they recommend on a stock engine (Which I think the FMAX kit is 7psi). Since he has beefed up the internals though I'm sure he could easily squeeze 12-15psi out of though for around 375whp (with the right tuning). I wonder what the reserve is on it, I'm guessing close to $18,000-$22,000 at least.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:15 AM   #8
Oomba
Banned

Thats a pretty long throw shifter for a car with that many mods...
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:10 AM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
Thats a pretty long throw shifter for a car with that many mods...

Also known as the stock shifter, just with a new boot and knob. A short throw shifter would only take a tenth or two off it's 1/4 mile time, no biggie.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:28 AM   #10
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubya
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...QQcmdZViewItem

Why would someone spend that much money to do that, when they could just buy a skyline for about the same price?

Because the SKyline isn't available in the US?

Anyways the interior looks a bit bland for a show car, I'd get the centre console retrimmed straight away!!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #11
ToshoRcing
CF Newbie

nice car btw do you guys think one of the simplest cars to convert to a skyline look would be an acura legend?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:13 PM   #12
chris945
CF Newbie

I have no idea how trustworthy this information is, but someone told me that in 2007 we are going to be able to get Skylines here in the U.S. But he also said that they were going to go for like $75,000. So even after all those mods that car may still be cheaper than a real Skyline. Personally I wouldn't do it, but it is a pretty cool car. I am going to be really pissed now if I find out that guy was lying to me about Skylines coming here and their prices.
chris945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:21 PM   #13
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris945
I have no idea how trustworthy this information is, but someone told me that in 2007 we are going to be able to get Skylines here in the U.S. But he also said that they were going to go for like $75,000. So even after all those mods that car may still be cheaper than a real Skyline. Personally I wouldn't do it, but it is a pretty cool car. I am going to be really pissed now if I find out that guy was lying to me about Skylines coming here and their prices.
ok dude did u read my post i said u can buy em in Japan for like 40k import em here and convert them for 20k tops. So if u really want one just do that and it will only cost you around 60k.
V-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:41 AM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris945

Technically we already get them in the US. The Skyline is available here as the Infiniti G35. The GT-R version has been turned into a separate model, and wil likely not get the Skyline name next time around, even in Japan.

Remember, there have been more than just the GT-R versions, including non turbo Skylines and 4 door Sklylines in Japan and Some of the rest of the world.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:16 AM   #15
Accord_Man
CF Addict

I like the car, especially since it has the FMAX/Turbonetics turbo kit on it. If I were him I wouldn't have done the skyline conversion stuff, just stopped after the body kit. Doing all of the conversion stuff probably cost double the body kit.

Accord_Man is offline   Reply With Quote