Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
bbaddog
CF Newbie

tire with bubble in sidewall

I recently bought a nice looking pair of used tires at a garage sale. (large 15" truck tires) I noticed that one tire when inflated has a large bubble in it's sidewall. The tire was dismounted from the wheel and there is a tear or split about 4" long in the lip of the tire. (by lip I mean the open edge of the tire the outside of which that is against the wheel when mounted.)

When the tire is mounted this split lip of the tire is enclosed within the wheel. Evidently air is entering the tire between it's outside layer and the inside layer and the bubble is forming in the sidewall.

If I sealed this split with glue or something would that stop my tire from bubbling? If so what glue or other product would you recommend? How about an inner tube?

thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaddog
I recently bought a nice looking pair of used tires at a garage sale. (large 15" truck tires) I noticed that one tire when inflated has a large bubble in it's sidewall. The tire was dismounted from the wheel and there is a tear or split about 4" long in the lip of the tire. (by lip I mean the open edge of the tire the outside of which that is against the wheel when mounted.)

When the tire is mounted this split lip of the tire is enclosed within the wheel. Evidently air is entering the tire between it's outside layer and the inside layer and the bubble is forming in the sidewall.

If I sealed this split with glue or something would that stop my tire from bubbling? If so what glue or other product would you recommend? How about an inner tube?

thanks
You're speaking of playing with your safety here. Don't do it.

Get a new tire.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:53 AM   #3
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Make that two for getting a new tire.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Fellas, I gotta tell you, you're wasting your time with this clown. He's the same boob that came up with this thread. You know, one of THEM that asks a question and because he doesn't agree with or comprehend the answer, you're the one that's wrong. He just keeps going until he finds someone to agree with him.

Besides, anyone that even has to ask for an answer to such an obvious question is mentally deficient. If we ignore him, maybe he'll go away... With any luck.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Old 11-28-2007, 04:21 AM   #5
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Fellas, I gotta tell you, you're wasting your time with this clown. He's the same boob that came up with this thread. You know, one of THEM that asks a question and because he doesn't agree with or comprehend the answer, you're the one that's wrong. He just keeps going until he finds someone to agree with him.

Besides, anyone that even has to ask for an answer to such an obvious question is mentally deficient. If we ignore him, maybe he'll go away... With any luck.
Oh lord. I recognized his user name, but I didn't realize it was the same guy.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:28 AM   #6
bbaddog
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
You're speaking of playing with your safety here. Don't do it.

Get a new tire.

You sound just like the local tire expert I consulted. I got the impression he just wanted to sell me a new tire.

Just forget about safety for a minute will you

I just want to know if if I can get this tire to hold air properly without bulging. If I can, then I will consider safety.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:33 AM   #7
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
You sound just like the local tire expert I consulted. I got the impression he just wanted to sell me a new tire.

I just want to know if if I can get this tire to hold air properly without bulging. If I can, then I will consider safety.
Ok. No.

With that aside, never ever put off safety.

EDIT: P.S Just get a new tire. It's simple.

Last edited by 67Coronet383 : 11-28-2007 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:57 AM   #8
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:

what does it matter then? if you're going to rig this tire together somehow, and THEN worry about whether it's safe or not you may well let it sit on the f*cking rim for all the good it's going to do you... you know,tire stores sometimes have used tires for sale if you're that goddamn cheap...

Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Quote:

lol at that link
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

Quote:
You know, one of THEM that asks a question and because he doesn't agree with or comprehend the answer, you're the one that's wrong. He just keeps going until he finds someone to agree with him.
Did I call it or what?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
bbaddog
CF Newbie

Quote:

If you don't know the answer why don't you just admit it.

Luckily, I found an innertube out in the shed that will fit this tire. Since nobody here would recommend the proper glue to use to patch the split in the tire I used regular epoxy from walmart. I stuffed as much glue into the cut as I could and then clamped it shut. There are a couple of holes in the innertube that need patched but I should have the tire mounted by tomorrow afternoon.

I'll let you know how it works.

thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:

Luckily, I found an innertube out in the shed that will fit this tire. Since nobody here would recommend the proper glue to use to patch the split in the tire I used regular epoxy from walmart. I stuffed as much glue into the cut as I could and then clamped it shut. There are a couple of holes in the innertube that need patched but I should have the tire mounted by tomorrow afternoon.

thanks
It might last you a day, a month, hell, even a year. Do you really wanna risk it?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:37 PM   #13
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:

thanks
Dead men tell no tales. Honestly, I don't care to much if you die/mess up your car, but I feel bad for anyone who might be in your path.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:35 AM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Quote:

thanks
That is the cheapest and dumbest thing ive ever heard. Good luck when you get a blowout, all because you wouldnt buy a new tire. Cheapass
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

thanks
I do know the answer you stupid, inbred f*ck. You've already been told a few times, so what would make me think that me telling you the same thing again will change your mind. But just for you dumbass;

THERE IS NO WAY TO SAFELY OR EFFECTIVELY REPAIR A DAMAGED SIDEWALL ON A TIRE. INSTALLING A TUBE MAY ALLOW IT TO HOLD AIR LONGER, BUT THE TIRE WILL STILL BE STRUCTURALLY DAMAGED. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO KNOWINGLY USE A TIRE WITH A SIDEWALL REPAIR ON THE PUBLIC ROADS OF THE UNITED STATES, PUNISHABLE BY FINES AND JAIL TIME.

And even after reading that, a f*cktard like you will still try to do it. I hope you die a slow and agonizing death.

Closed Thread